[b-greek] Re: Grammar

From: Mark Goodacre (M.S.Goodacre@bham.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Feb 25 2001 - 17:53:35 EST

On 25 Feb 2001, at 13:53, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> At 1:08 PM -0500 2/25/01, Alexander Kyrychenko wrote:
> >New Testament Greek for Beginners by J. Gresham Machen:
> >
> >http://www.ccel.org/m/machen/greek/htm/TOC.htm
>
> It should be borne in mind that when one "purchases" this "free" NT
> Greek textbook that's readily accessible on the web, one gets exactly
> as much as one pays for: inadequate explanations of Greek
> constructions, some questionable made-up Greek sentences to translate
> into English, and some still-more-questionable English sentences to
> translate into Greek. I used the text myself a few times, so I do have
> a basis for the judgment.

I am grateful for these comments, only having see Machen through
the on-line version.

> You should at least be aware of and check out some other alternatives
> noted at Micheal Palmer's page entitled "Greek Language and
> Linguistics Gateway":
>
> http://www.greek-language.com/learn.greek/

While not taking away, of course, from Michael Palmer's very
useful page, I wonder if I might also recommend Marc Huys
excellent Greek Grammar on the Web at
http://perswww.kuleuven.ac.be/~p3481184/greekg.htm, which
provides a good series of links as well as incisive comments on
each of each of the courses, grammars etc. to which he is drawing
attention.

I've just added another link to the Learning NT Greek section on the
Greek NT Gateway (http://www.ntgateway.com/greek) -- Michael
Haggett's New Testament Greek course
(http://website.lineone.net/~ntgreek). At first look through, I
thought it quite clear and helpful; nice audio elements too. It uses
the Athena unicode font and provides useful instructions on how to
download (contrast CCEL on Machen, which doesn't make clear
anywhere that I can see that they have used SIL Galatia). Two
frustrations -- one is that the complete version has to be purchase
on CD-ROM and the other is no accents or iota subscripts -- the
lack of the latter bothers me a lot for teaching first years.

I don't suppose we could persuade Jonathan to resume writing his
on-line textbook can we? I used to look forward to each new
lesson!

Mark
Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:M.S.Goodacre@bham.ac.uk
  Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
  University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
  Birmingham B15 2TT
  United Kingdom

http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
  Homepage