[b-greek] Re: John 11:26 - EIS TON AIWNA

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2001 - 09:33:49 EST

At 6:35 AM -0500 3/16/01, Rosangela Lira wrote:
>In John 11:26 the words MH APOQANH EIS TON AIWNA are translataed in most
>English Bibles as "shall never die". In our version in Portuguese,
>however, it is translated as "shall not die for ever". This seems to be
>more in agreement with the literal translations:
>"shall not die - to the age"(Young's Literal Translation)
>"shall not ever die forever" (Green's Literal Translation).
>Would there be another way in Greek to express the idea of "never die"?

"will not die forever" is indeed more literal, and I think that English
Bibles are misleading about this, suggesting that a believer will not die
physically when what is meant is that one's physical death is not a death
of the self "into eternity."

Here are the text and footnotes from the NET and the note from Robertson's
Word Pictures on this text:

http://www.bible.org/netbible/index.htm

11:23 Jesus replied,43 "Your brother will come back to life again."44 11:24
Martha said,45 "I know that he will come back to life again46 in the
resurrection at the last day." 11:25 Jesus said to her, "I am the
resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live47 even if
he dies, 11:26 and the one who lives and believes in me will never die.48
Do you believe this?"

47tn (11:25) That is, will come to life. 48tn (11:26) Grk "will never die
forever." 49tn (11:27) Grk "She said to him."

http://bible.crosswalk.com/Commentaries/RobertsonsWordPictures/rwp.cgi?book=joh&chapter=011&verse=026&next=027&prev=025

Chapter 11 > Verse 26
Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament
Shall never die (ou mh apoqanh eiß ton aiwna). Strong double negative ou mh
with second aorist active subjunctive of apoqnhskw again (but spiritual
death, this time), "shall not die for ever" (eternal death). Believest thou
this? (pisteueiß touto;) Sudden test of Martha's insight and faith with all
the subtle turns of thought involved.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu