[b-greek] YEUDO-ELLHNIZW?

From: Keith Thompson (keitht@kneptune.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 08:36:21 EST

Hi!
 Here's a couple of things someone said...

Romans 2:29 - ...KAI PERITOMH KARDIAS EN PNEUMATI, OU GRAMMATI...
 This must say 'the Spirit', the article is implied by the form PNEUMA
appears in.

Colossians 1:19 - hOTI EN AUTWi EUDOKHSE PAN TO PLHRWMA KATOIKHSAI
 This must say 'his ful(l)ness', the Greek definite article TO must be
translated as 'his'.

 ...and not to translate these things this way is to lie about what the
Greek text says!
 This seems to be plainly wrong to me, and the alternative translations
(just 'spirit' and 'the ful(l)ness') are allowed. But sometimes I find I
don't know as much as I thought I knew about Greek, can someone confirm
that this is faulty or is there something else I don't know about the
language?

 Also I have a question about pronunciation - are there silent letters
like in English 'know', 'pneumatic', 'pseudonym', etc.?
 I've always had trouble pronouncing words like PNEUMA, KTISIS and
PTWCOS. As there is only one syllable per vowel or diphthong is the
first letter silent (NEUMA, TISIS, TWCOS)? Or is there a kind of half
syllable like a Hebrew Shewa (P-NEUMA, K-TISIS, P-TWCOS)? Or are the two
consonants blended together in a tricky single sound like the (slightly
easier) letters Xi and Psi? (Or are even these letters pronounced with a
silent 'k' and 'p' if they occur at the beginning of a word?)

Keith Thompson (Manchester, UK)
Email: keitht@kneptune.demon.co.uk

--
Keith Thompson