[b-greek] invitation--best mnemonics in hebrew or latin?-

From: Randall Buth (ButhFam@compuserve.com)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 14:18:56 EST

shalom james,

>Once one has reached a reasonable level of vocabulary with koine Greek,
and
>want to try one's hand at another "theological" language. Would anyone be

>able to suggest whether Hebrew or Latin has the most (or the most
>interesting) mnemonics to assist in (1) retaining Greek & (2) learning the

>second language.

the best mnemonics are tying a 'word'/'sound-node' to as many different
experiences and pieces/contexts as possible.

If you would like to try your hand at Hebrew,
I would encourage you to consider a 6-week, intensive biblical Hebrew
immersion program in a beautiful,
SAFE,
PEACEFUL
retreat center 15 km west of Jerusalem. Two options are:
3 June -- 13 July and
1 August -- 11 August
I think it safe to say you won't find a way to learn more Hebrew or retain
it longer than in this unique program (8 credit). For one example, students
will be playing in biblical Hebrew with functional goranot
'threshingfloors', gittot 'winepresses' kai ta loipa (=etc.) in the hills
of Judah.

for more info Email:
BibleTranslators@jerusalemschool.org
or
Buth@jerusalemschool.org

As for theology, Hebrew is the gate and mirror of the primary 1st century
cultural matrix for the gospels. (e.g. to understand DHSAI 'to bind' and
LUSAI 'to loose' you will be aided by hundreds of examples in early
mishnaic Hebrew of le'esor and lehatir.)
Hebrew doesn't hurt one's reading of the OT either.

While it may be far from Australia, we've had satisfied students make the
trek with no regrets.

blessings
Randall Buth
Jerusalem University College