[b-greek] teaching greek

From: Justin Richmond (smckamey@cafes.net)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 15:53:19 EST

Hello. This is my son's account, but I would like to ask a question in
regard to Justin's Greek lessons. I homeschool Justin and he has been
learning Greek for about a year and a half. I do not know the Greek
language but was able to help him with the grammar when he first started.
I find that much of teaching is really pointing someone to good resources
and listening to their thoughts on what they have been learning.
Therefore, I have purchased books, found this discussion group, and said
"hmm, that's sounds reasonable" a lot.

My situation is this: Justin has been using the text "Greek To Me" by
Story and is in chapter 12a. He no longer has anyone to review his work,
as our pastor is quite busy and we have no answer key. I have purchased
Mounce's "Basics of Biblical Greek" since I can obtain answers to the
workbook and taped lectures on each chapter. Could any of you suggest
which way to go as far as finishing the Story text or moving over to the
Mounce text? The chapters are laid out quite differently so he'd have to
begin at the beginning of Mounce, but could move quickly through much of
the material.

Also, does anyone have a suugestion on how long it should take a high
school age student to move through this type of material for school
credit? I have given Justin 1 year's worth of HS credit so far, but I'm
not sure if these are one semester or one year's worth of college work. I
usually count 1 yr of college as 2 yrs of HS.

Thank you,

Melani