[b-greek] Rising up in Polycarp

From: Bart Ehrman (behrman@email.unc.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 01 2001 - 12:53:29 EDT

   Curious clause in Polycarp's letter to the Philippians 9:2. Speaking
of Ignatius and other martyrs, he indicates:

        "For they did not love the present age, ALLA TON hUPER hHMWN
APOQANONTA KAI DI' hHMAS UPO TOU QEOU ANASTANTA. (= "but the one who died
for us and ..." and what?)

   I.e., what is one to make of this use of UPO + the genitive with the
intransitive verb?

   Bauer-Danker says the intransitive is used in place of the passive.
Is that right? (It's normally translated that way). And Smythe gives
other examples of intransitives used with UPO and the genitive; but they
don't seem to apply.

    My sticking point: should it be translated "and was raised by God" or
something like "and arose by the power of God."

-- Bart Ehrman