[b-greek] RE: Heb. 11:1

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 15 2001 - 09:07:57 EDT

At 2:55 AM +0000 4/15/01, Mark Wilson wrote:
>Iver wrote:
>
>>What do others says?
>
>ESTIN DE PISTIS ELPIZOMENWN hUPOSTATIS
>PRAGMATWN ELEGCOS OU BLEPOMENWN
>
>Ok Iver, here's my stab at Heb. 11:1:
>
>"In fact, doctrine is the underlying structure (in the sense of: divine
>provision) from which we receive confidence, the proof of matters not seen."
>
>PISTIS often has the sense of that which is believed, namely, the body of
>truth or doctrine. Here, I take it in its passive sense.
>
>ELPIZOMENWN is passive (we receive), and "from which" brings out its
>Ablative function. That is, doctrine is the source of our confidence, not
>our human, frail faith.
>
>hUPOSTATIS receives "underlying structure" as part of BDAG's first
>definition, but it seems to slightly miss it to me, so I added a clarifying
>parenthetical remark.
>
>My thoughts,

I knew when I saw George Blaisdell's post raising the question of the
central placement of PRAGMATWN in Heb 1:11 that this was another instance
of "deja vu all over again." We had a lengthy thread on this almost two
years ago--when George was last a participant in B-Greek--back in May of
1999. It began with a post by Kevin Barney on 5/4/99 and continued through
a post by Jason Lee on 5/18/99; the initial subject-header was "Hebrews
11:1," thereafter "Re: Hebrews 11:1."

A note on searching the archives: I admit that searching the archives by
subject is difficult, but the primary reason for this is that
subject-headers are so variable (e.g. "Hebrews 11:1," "Heb 11:1," "Heb
11.1," "PISTIS," etc.); I think one is more likely to find what one's
looking for more quickly by typing the transliterated Greek word or phrase
into the search box. I find it easier to search by date (IF I know when a
thread began). One fact about the way the Lyris engine does searches that
needs to be understood, however, is that when you do the search, what is
brought up is the 200-message sequence of which the item fitting the search
criteria is the earlist-dated and therefore at the bottom of the window
opened up with search results; you must scroll down to the proper message
to read it.

I cite below my first and major response in that thread of two years ago--I
think that most of what I thought at that time remains intact in my mind. I
think I would now offer a fresh "dynamic equivalence" version of the
celebrated opening sentence: "What we mean by 'faith' is what we stand on
when we look to the future as Christians; it's our touchstone for testing
what we cannot see."

A brief comment on this version: (a) The opening with ESTIN seems to me to
mean that this is a deliberate attempt to define 'faith' or to answer the
implicit question "What is faith?" (b) The oddity of this phrasing, in my
opinion, is that it is a very abstract description of our experience of
faith that could and perhaps should be expressed in much more 'concrete'
language of the everyday experience of believers AS BELIEVERS: what do we
do when we 'believe'? We take our stand upon what we expect to happen; we
offer our "story" expressing what we believe as our 'canon' or 'litmus
test' for what we are confident of even though we cannot see it (it being
the PRAGMATA--the realities upon which our faith focuses even though they
aren't 'tangible' in any empirical sense. All of which is to say: I don't
think this is a philosophical definition of Faith so much as an
experiential description of it. The more detailed basis of this reading is
in my posting of two years ago below.