[b-greek] Re: Matthew 20:1 PRWI

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 25 2001 - 19:24:12 EDT

At 2:06 PM -0700 4/25/01, Dagoberto Garcia wrote:
>I have been looking at this adverb "PRWI", and trying to determine what kind
>of adverb it is.
>It also has some funny accentuation to go with it. This is found also in UBS
>as well as Nestle-Aland 27th ed. Greek Text.
>
>Is there a name to this accentuation? Is this the way it is found in the
>MSS? Is there a case connected to this adverb? (As in Dative)?

This may originally have been a locative ending (-I), but with the acuted
accentuation on the ultima, it seems to have been understood as a "deictic
iota"--an Iota normally accented acute appended to any demonstrative word
to intensify it, as in hODI/, hOUTOSI/, or TOUTI/, forms of hODE, hOUTOS,
and TOUTO respective as intensified by the "deictic iota."