[b-greek] RE: Why MOICOS?

From: Garland Shinn (ghshinn@home.com)
Date: Sat May 05 2001 - 11:00:06 EDT

Carlton,

Your reply almost makes it sound like a woman could not commit MOICEIA, but only
PORNEIA. However, at least one NT use indicates that a woman can indeed do the dirty
deed. Mark 10:12 reads "And if a woman divorces her husband and marries another, she
commits adultery (MOICEIA)."

Clwinbery@aol.com wrote:

> Loew & Nida have the following information. It seems adequate to me. The
> Greek in the article may be garbled but I think you can tell what it is.
> 88.276 moiceu/w; moicażomai; moicei÷a, aß f. sexual intercourse of a man with
> a married woman other than his own spouse — ‘to commit adultery, adultery.’
> >From the standpoint of the NT, adultery was normally defined in terms of the
> married status of the woman involved in any such act. In other words, sexual
> intercourse of a married man with an unmarried woman would usually be
> regarded as pornei÷a ‘fornication’ 88.271, but sexual intercourse of either
> an unmarried or a married man with someone else’s wife was regarded as
> adultery, both on the part of the man as well as the woman. In view of the
> married status of the woman being the determining factor in moiceu/w,
> moicażomai, moicei÷a, and related terms 88.277-88.278, there is a significant
> contrast with porneu/w and related expressions 88.271. porneu/w, however, may
> be regarded as more generic in meaning, and thus in certain contexts
> including adultery.
>
> Carlton Winbery
> LA College
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: [ghshinn@home.com]

Garland Shinn
Elder
Grace Bible Fellowship

Attachment Converted: "d:\program files\maildir\attach\ghshinn.vcf"