[b-greek] Apoc 3,14

From: John Lupia (jlupia2@excite.com)
Date: Tue May 15 2001 - 22:33:21 EDT

b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu

> << I know that hH ARCH is translated as the Beginning in many translations

> but couldn't this word also be translated as, "the Origin"?
>
> Harry W. Jones >>

I agree with Dr. Jones on this. However, I would take it one step further.
It signifies "the first principle and cause of all things" taken from
Aristotle, Metaphysics, 983bII, sqq. which is found also in Simplicius
Philosophicus, Aristotelis Physica commentaria, 150.23, who credits it to
Anaximander. The use in Apoc 3,14 is an echo of Joh 1,1 having the same
identical meaning. The traditional translation : In the beginning was the
Word, IMHO should read: The first principle and cause of all things was the
Word. Here in Apoc 3,14 The great Amen or "So be it" is God's saying the
eternal "Yes" to eternally create. His nature never changes. He is the
same yesterday, today and tomorrow. He is "the Creator" and did not become
this since this logically implies that he has changed. So, Apoc 3,14 reads,
IMHO: The Amen, the faithful and true witness, says these things of God, the
first principle and cause of all things.

Peace in Christ,

John N. Lupia
501 North Avenue B-1
Elizabeth, New Jersey 07208-1731 USA