[b-greek] Re: Phil. 2:10 KAMYH=should bow or will bow?

From: B. D. Colt (babc@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 19:16:16 EDT

On 17 May 01, at 19:45, Clwinbery@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/17/01 3:15:21 PM, hjbluebird@aol.com writes:
>
> >I really appreciate you help in this. But it wouldn't be
> >grammatically correct to translate KAMYH as "will bow" would it?
> >That's why I cann't understand why my NASB would do that. It's
> >suppose to be a literal translation, isn't it?. I feel some what
> >betrayed.
> >
> The aorist subjunctive is part of a hINA clause, hINA EN TWi ONOMATI
> IHSOU PAN GONU KAMYHi. . .
>
> by nature all subjunctives are potential and thus future. There are a
> number of places in the GNT when the future indicative is used
> inter-changeably with the subjunctives in hINA clauses.

This is sort of like an indirect quotation. Every translation I have,
including the 1901 ASV, has 'should' here, but in one of my favourite
hymns we sing, "At the name of Jesus every knee shall bow." That,
of course is modern British English. Modern American English uses
'will,' of course, and uses 'shall' only occasionally for variety and only
in the wrong places.

Barbara D. Colt, mailto:babc@ix.netcom.com
St John the Evangelist, San Francisco