[b-greek] Re: Phil. 2:10 KAMYH=should bow or will bow?

From: B. D. Colt (babc@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 19:16:16 EDT

On 17 May 01, at 19:28, Randall M. Tidmore wrote:

> Another text you might consider is 1 Corinthians 11:26b:
>
> AXRI hOU ELQHi (I hope I managed to transliterate that correctly.)
>
> In English usually this is translated, "...until He comes." We would
> not expect a subjunctive here in English, but in the Greek (and
> Spanish) it is. In Spanish it is required by the word for "until."

But note that in the KJV we read "till he come." Hardly anyone (not
even I) would say that in modern English. The English subjunctive is
not quite dead yet, and some of us are brought up short when in
English books we read something like "He proposed that she did it." I
mentally change "did" to "do", but then, I'm old fashioned. I think
most Americans would say 'should do."

Barbara D. Colt, mailto:babc@ix.netcom.com
St John the Evangelist, San Francisco