[b-greek] Re: EPIGNWSKO

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Sat May 19 2001 - 20:24:14 EDT

<x-flowed>
At 16:46 19/05/01, you wrote:

>Dear B-Greekers
>I have a question regarding the translation of EPIGNWSKO which I believe
>occurs 20 in the GNT.

The lexical form is EPIGINWSKW, and according to my search engine it occurs
44 times in the GNT; eliminating double occurrences in a verse, leaves 40
verses in which it appears. [ I will send the verse refs. to you off-list ]

>How would any of you translate it? Most lexicons say that it is a
>'strengthened' form of GNWSKO yet few English translations(I have in mind
>the more literal ones such as the NASB)make any distinction between them.
>Some translations/translators do(some like C.B.Williams translates "*full*
>knowledge" rather than just "knowledge"-NAS)but not always/consistently so.

Before exploring the distinctions between GINWSKW and EPIGINWSKW, perhaps
you should examine the various ways in which EPIGINWSKW is used?
BAGD suggest: know, understand, recognize.

and Louw-Nida covers:
    a know about 28.2 b understand 32.16 c learn about 27.8 d
recognize 27.61 e acknowledge 31.27
[ As L-N is a lexicon based on semantic domains, the numbers show the
differing sub-domains to which the occurrences can be distributed -- 28 is
" to know ", whereas 32 is " come to understand ". ]

I think you might usefully explore these 44 occurrences of EPIGINWSKW
before starting to compare some of the 222 occurrences of GINWSKW (note
correct lexical form again ) <g>

But most important of all is to disabuse yourself of the idea that you can
ask:
>>How would any of you translate it?>> as a _general_ question?
Go to one or more particular instances of the 44 occurrences and then come
back to B-GREEK and ask a specific question.

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros@iol.ie