[b-greek] Re: hA - Revelation 1:1

From: Harold R. Holmyard III (hholmyard@ont.com)
Date: Sun May 27 2001 - 14:53:31 EDT

Dear Bradley,

You wrote:

> My questions concern a relative pronoun (hA) that
> appears in the first part of Revelation 1:1.

> APOKALUYIS IHSOU CRISTOU hHN EDWKEN AUTWi hO QEOS DEIXAI
> TOIS DOULOIS AUTOU hA DEI GENESQAI EN TACEI...

> Question 1: I understand that a relative pronoun generally agrees with
> its antecedent with respect to gender and number. Thus hA, being neuter
> plural, would therefore have a neuter plural antecedent. However, there
> is no neuter plural antecedent here to which hA can relate. What is the
> antecedent, and why?

HH: I think the antecedent is an understood word like "things." The neuter
pronoun can represent abstract ideas that have no direct antecedent in a
single word. here the author wanted a plural idea. He wanted to refer to
the various events prophesied, so he used the plural neuter to indicate
these hitherto unmentioned things.

                                Yours,
                                Harold Holmyard
                                Dallas, TX