[b-greek] Re: hA - Revelation 1:1

From: Dave Washburn (dwashbur@nyx.net)
Date: Sun May 27 2001 - 16:11:50 EDT

> > My questions concern a relative pronoun (hA) that appears in the first =
> > part of Revelation 1:1.
> >
> > APOKALUYIS IHSOU CRISTOU hHN EDWKEN AUTWi hO QEOS DEIXAI TOIS DOULOIS =
> > AUTOU hA DEI GENESQAI EN TACEI...
> >
> > Question 1: I understand that a relative pronoun generally agrees with =
> > its antecedent with respect to gender and number. Thus hA, being neuter =
> > plural, would therefore have a neuter plural antecedent. However, there =
> > is no neuter plural antecedent here to which hA can relate. What is the =
> > antecedent, and why?
> >
> > Question 2: According to the paradigm of the relative pronoun (lexical =
> > form hOS) the case of hA can be nominative or accusative. What is the =
> > case of hA in this instance, and why?
> >
> snip
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Bradley Wayne Ellison
> > Holloman AFB, New Mexico
> >

> In answer to your first question. There are times that the relative
> pronoun just doesn,t agree in gender and number with its antecedent.
> I refer you to ATR page 713 where Robertson says, that sometimes the
> relative doesn,t agree with the antecedent. Also Wallace says the
> same thing on page 337 under "Unusual Uses". I suggest that you take
> a look at Robertson and Wallace for a fuller explanation.

Actually in this context hA is acting as a substantive, "the things
which." The neuter relative pronoun often behaves this way, e.g. 1
John 1:1. Since hO is the first word, it's not easy to find an
antecedent! The common English translation of Rev 1:1, "show
you what has been etc." renders this substantive use quite well.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"You just keep thinking, Butch. That's what you're good at."