[b-greek] Re: John 17:25

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun May 27 2001 - 23:59:24 EDT

on 5/27/01 7:53 PM, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:

> Dear Barbara,
>
>> I expect I'm being quite thick again, but I can't figure out what purpose
>> is served by the first 'KAI' ( that I have put between asterisks below).
>
>> John 17:25. PATER DIKAIE, *KAI* hOI KOSMOS SE OUK EGNW,
>> EGW DE SE EGNWN, KAI hOUTOI EGNWSAN hOTI
>> SU ME APESTEILAS.
>
> In BAGD, under KAI, at I.6, there is mention of KAI to introduce contrasts
> where there are two KAI's, yielding "although" . . ."yet." That is what the
> context in John 17:25 suggests.

Barbara,

HAW Meyer (John, p473-4) rejects this explanation which he cites from Bengel
and Ebrard saying it "is allowed neither by the character of the antithetic
conceptions nor the manifest reference of the second KAI to EGW DE."

Meyer spends a full page (6 pt type) discussing this KAI and I can only give
his conclusion. He states that the first KAI establishes an antithetic
relationship between PATER DIKAIE and hOI KOSMOS SE OUK EGNW. He suggests
that the meaning can be illustrated by amending the text to read:

PATER, DIKAIOS EI, KAI hOI KOSMOS SE OUK EGNW ktl.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point