[b-greek] Re: Luke 23:43 .Was the thief with Jesus in pardise the same day?

From: Clwinbery@aol.com
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 16:44:55 EDT

Some have cited the passage in Mark in presenting the case one way or another
in Luke, but I think a better place to go to say what Luke would have written
is the LXX.

LXX Is. 37:3 hHMERA QLIYEWS KAI ONEIDISMOU KAI ELEGMOU KAI ORGHS *hH SHMERON
hHMERA*.
"This very day is a day of tribulation, of reproach, of rebuke, and or wrath.

Luke wrote;
AMHN SOI LEGW SHMERON, MET' EMOU ESHi EN TWi PARADEISWi.
And I think he means
Truly I say to you today, "You will be with me in Paradis." (unemphatic)
Though with AMHN in place, it would have been difficult to make this reading
emphatic.

If he had written;
AMHN SOI LEGW, MET' EMOU ESHi EN TWi PARADEISWi *hH SHMERON hHMERA*.
I think he would have meant;
Truly I say to you, "This very day you will be with me in Paradis."
(emphatic)

Though such arguments can only talk of probabilities, not any degree of
certainty.

Carlton Winbery
Louisiana College (not LSU who is losing to Tulane)