[b-greek] Re: Luke 23:43 - the punctuation of the verse

From: GregStffrd@aol.com
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 12:37:50 EDT

In a message dated 06/04/2001 9:28:36 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
bjwvmw@com-pair.net writes:

<< Dear Greg:

 Lk 4:21 has SHMERON following the verb, LEGW, "(HRSXATO DE LEGEIN PROS
 AUTOUS HOTI SHMERON PEPLHRWTAI H GRAPHW AUTH EN TOIS WSIV HUMWN." Since
 'hoti' is an indicator of direct (and indirect) discourse, then here is an
 instance of a phrase that is essentially the same as 4:24 & 23:43. It also
 seems from a quick perusal in the use of LEGW in Luke that Luke frequently
 uses HOTI, an adverb, or the quote itself, with a pause (punctuation
 understood by context) to follow the verb LEGW (3:8; 4:24-25; 7:26, 28;
 9:27; 10:12, 24; et al.) Thus, it is perfectly reasonable based on the
 evidence in Luke (and Acts ?) that one should translate, "Truly I say to
 you, Today, you will be with me in Paradise." It is also apparent from the
 gospel of John that Jesus used the phrase "Truly, Truly I say to you" or
 "Truly I say to you." This would indicate that it was quite common for Jesus
 to use the above phrase with a pause (punctuation) understood from the
 context.

 I wonder if one should also look at the use of SHMERON in Acts 13:33, which
 is a quote by Paul from the LXX of Ps 2:7, "UIOS MOU EI SU EGW SHMERON
 GENGHKA (GENNHKA) SE" (see also Heb 1:5; 5:5).

 Thanks,

 Rev. Bryant J. Williams III >>

Dear Bryant:

That is my point: There is no such use of hOTI in Luke 23:43. Thus, it is not
comparable to 4:21. 4:21 can only be construed one way; not so with 23:43.

Acts 13:33 might be comparable in terms of an emphasis for an act, but not a
speech-related event.

There are plenty of parallels from the LXX and NT that show that "today" in
Luke 23:43 is part of an idiom meat to convey solemn emphasis for what was
said. The text should be translated, "Truly I tell you today, you will... "
Even if others prefer "Truly I say to you, today. . ." they should give the
former as a viable alternative, but very few translations do that, and thus
withhold from their readers important information that leads others to
believe the former reading is a misreading, when in fact it is quite
acceptable, if not preferable.

Please consult the archives for these examples and other details.

Best regards,

Greg Stafford