[b-greek] Luke 1:26-27

From: Tony Costa (tmcos@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 17:33:25 EDT

<x-flowed>
I had a question regarding Mary's ancestory. It has been assumed that Mary
was of the tribe of Judah and of the house of David. The Ante-Nicene Church
Fathers also seemed to hold this view. The NT makes the point that Jesus was
of the tribe of Judah and was a "son of David". In both Matthew and Luke,
Joseph is undoubtedly referred to as a "son of David" and belonging to
David's house as well. The geneology in Luke is believed by some to be
Mary's geneaology, and that Joseph was called the "son of Heli" (Luke 3:23)
because of his marriage to Mary. This would make Heli the father of Mary.
This has also troubled me because in apocryphal gospel literature like the
Protevangelium of James, the father of Mary is designated by the name
Joachin, and Mary's mother is Anna.
  The phrase in Luke 1:26-27 PROS PARTHENON EMNHSTEUMENHN ANDRI W ONOMA
IOSEPH EX OIKOU DAUEID KAI ONOMA THS PARTHENON MARIAM has been questioned
as to whether EX OIKOU DAUEID refers to Joseph or Mary. John Chrysostom
believed it was a reference to Mary, but I think the syntax and the context
supports the view that it is a reference to Joseph since he seems to be the
antecedent in the sentence. Any thoughts on this? Many thanks.

                                                 Tony Costa