[b-greek] Re: Ephesians 2:8,9

From: Clwinbery@aol.com
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 22:25:28 EDT

Matthew R. Miller wrote;

>Hello all,
>th xariti in Ephesians 2:8 is in the dative case (feminine singular). I
>understand the dative case to have the following main functions in koine
>Greek: 1) to indicate the indirect object of a verb 2) to indicate
>location in a circumscribed area, not moving into or out of 3)
>occasionally to indicate possession in place of the genetive. My
>questions are: have I overlooked any function, and what is the function in
>this verse? Thanks!

The full text is:
THi GAR CARITI ESTE SESWISMENOI DIA PISTEWS KAI TOUTO OUK EX hUMWN, QEOU TO
DWRON: OUK EX ERGWN, hINA MH TIS KAUCHSHTAI.

You have left out all the dative functions classed as instrumental. "by
grace" would seem to me to functional instrumentally.

Carlton L. Winbery
Louisiana College