[b-greek] Re: Romans 4:1

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 00:51:30 EDT

on 6/7/01 7:49 PM, Mark Wilson wrote:

> 4:1
>
> TI OUN EROUMEN ABRAAM TON PATERA hHMWN hEURHKENAI KATA SARKA

You have cited the reading from the TR (Majority) text.

> Presumedly, KATA SARKA could modify PATERA or hEURHKENAI.
>
> Does the syntactical position of KATA SARKA give any clue
> as to what it modifies?

First of all this is a text critical question more than a question of
syntax, but it is both and the two questions should be handled together.

NA27/UBSGNT reads:

TI OUN EROUMEN hEURHKENAI ABRAAM TON PROPATORA hHMWN KATA SARKA;

H.A.W. Meyer talks about the textual problem and rejects the position of
hEURHKENAI found in NA27 which is supported by Aleph, A, D, ktl. because he
thinks that this reading can be explained as an attempt to connect KATA
SARKA with TON PROPATORA (PATERA). He retains the position of hEURHKENAI in
the TR and connects KATA SARKA with hEURHKENAI.

Henry Alford changed his mind on this. He initially retained the reading of
the TR even after he had seen Tischendorf's support for the other word
order. However in the final edition of his Greek Testament he changes his
mind and adopts EROUMEN [hEURHKENAI] ABRAAM bracketing the critical word
because it does not appear in B.

NOTE well however that Alford didn't change his mind on the syntactical
connection of KATA SARKA which he still attaches to hEURHKENAI.

C.E.B. Cranfield accepts the NA/UBS reading but he attaches KATA SARKA with
hHMWN not TON PROPATORA. Cranfield's analysis really left me dumbfounded. I
just don't get it. I would make both hHMWN and KATA SARKA limiting
constituents attached to TON PROPATORA.

Does the word order decided the syntactical question? Yes and no. Some
authors intentionally place a limiting constituent some distance from the
limited constituent. However, it is more common for these to be placed in
close proximity.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew