[b-greek] Re: KJV Mt. 2:4

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 20:08:25 EDT

<x-flowed>
At 22:57 11/06/01, Harry W. Jones wrote:

>The answer is that the KJV
>has mistranslated that Greek word, "EPUQAVETO". It should be translated
>as, "inquired".

I would question your use of " mistranslated" -- what is appropriate for
a 21st. century understanding cannot automatically be applied to
Elizabethan English, surely?.

For example, I can remember the time when a U.K passport carried a request
from Her Majesty that "the bearer be allowed, without let or hindrance "
-- in 400 years, the meaning of " let " had changed completely from "
prevent" to " allow " [ in fact, in tennis to this very day it retains the
original meaning !! ]

So Ted is quite right to suggest " or is this only a matter of changes in
the English language over a span of 400 years? "

In the New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary one definition of " demand " is:
>> Ask, inquire, make inquiry of a person etc. _arch_. LME." >>
Note that " inquiry of" and that it is listed as archaic.

Indeed, the SOED gives an example for this very use from the AV
>> AV Luke 3:14 And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And
what shall we do? <<

Although you wrote: " I notice the KJV has "demanded," " -- in fact, it has
" demainded of them ", which is precisely the construction used in the
Lukan example.

P.S Just to correct a couple of typos: the form in Mt. 2:4 is EPUNQANETO
and the lexical form is: PUNQANOMAI

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros@iol.ie