[b-greek] Re: Luke 2:2

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 16:26:45 EDT

<x-flowed>

Carl wrote:

Personally, I agree that hAUTH hH APOGRAFH is most probably the original
form of the subject; I think, however, that PRWTH is adverbial with EGENETO
(and that the word-order PRWTH EGENETO is more probable) and that EGENETO
does here mean "occurred/took place" (= Latin FACTUS EST), and finally that
hHGEMONEUONTOS THS SURIAS KURHNIOU is a genitive absolute explaining PRWTH
EGENETO: "This census first took place/was held when Quirinius was governor
of Syria."

To which Iver responded:

But I still have a problem trying to make sense of the traditional
translation. If we say "This census first took place" or "This census took
place first" at a particular time what does that mean? Was it not finished
and had to be repeated a second time? Is there any contrast with another
census? If there is not contrast, the word order is wrong.

My naive question:

Does not hAUTH itself imply a constrast? hH would have been sufficient to
reference the APOGRAFH of the previous verse. In fact, I would have
understood hH as demonstrative anyway. Why the hAUTH?

Mark Wilson