[b-greek] Re: EXOMOLOGHSETAI

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 06:57:14 EDT

At 3:27 AM +0000 7/5/01, Mark Wilson wrote:
>Romans 14:11b
>
>hOTI EMOI KAMYEI PAN GONU
>KAI PASA GLWSSA EXOMOLOGHSETAI TWi QEWi
>

>I was expecting hOTI after EXOMOLOGHSETAI to indicate
>the content of what was going to be confessed.
>
>...every tongue shall confess [what] to God...
>

>Does not EXOMOLOGHSETAI need a completer word?
>If not, how does TWi QEWi function here?

Not necessarily; it would pay to check a fuller lexicon before making such
an inquiry. I think you may be hung up on the notion of faith as
affirmation of a proposition vs. faith as trusting commitment. Here's L&N:

33.274 hOMOLOGEW; hOMOLOGIA, -AS, f., EXOMOLOGEOMAI: to express openly
one's allegiance to a proposition or person - 'to profess, to confess,
confession.'
hOMOLOGEW; hOSTIS hOMOLOGHSEI EN EMOI EMPROSQEN TWN ANQRWPWN, hOMOLOGHSW
KAGW EN AUTWi EMPROSQEN TOU PATROS MOU 'whoever confesses me before people,
I will confess him before my Father' Mt 10:32.
hOMOLOGIA: KATECWMEN THN hOMOLOGIAN THS ELPIDOS 'let us hold on to the hope
we profess' He 10:23.
EXOMOLOGEOMAI: DIA TOUTO EXOMOLOGHSOMAI SOI EN EQNESIN 'therefore I will
confess you before the Gentiles' Ro 15:9. For another interpretation of
EXOMOLOGEOMAI in Ro 15:9, see 33.359.
        It is often extremely difficult, if not impossible, to translate
hOMOLOGEW; hOMOLOGIA, and EXOMOLOGEOMAI by the usual expression for
'confess,' since this would usually imply that one has done something
wrong. It is normally necessary, therefore, to employ quite a different
type of relationship, usually involving a public utterance and an
expression of confidence or allegiance. For example, in Mt 10:32 it may be
necessary to translate 'whoever tells people publicly that he is loyal to
me, I will tell my Father that I am loyal to that person.' Similarly, in He
10:23 one may translate 'let us hold on to the hope in which we have told
people we have such confidence.' Likewise, in Ro 15:9 one may translate
'therefore I will tell the Gentiles how I have put my confidence in you.'