[b-greek] Re: AN in place of EAN

From: Richard Allan Stauch (RStauch@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Jul 07 2001 - 23:25:30 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl W. Conrad [mailto:cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu]
Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2001 7:26 AM
>At 9:31 AM -0400 7/7/01, Jay Anthony Adkins wrote:
>>Matt 16:25 (GNT) OS GAR EAN QELH THN YUCHN AUTOU SWSAI APOLESEI AUTHN OS
>>D' AN APOLESEI THN YUCHN AUTOU ENEKEN EMOU EURHSEI AUTHN
>>Mark 8:35 (GNT) OS GAR EAN QELH THN YUCHN AUTOU SWSAI APOLESEI AUTHN OS D'
>>AN APOLESEI THN YUCHN AUTOU ENEKEN EMOU KAI TOU EUAGGELIOU SWSEI AUTHN.
>>Luke 9:24 (GNT) OS GAR AN QELH THN YUCHN AUTOU SWSAI APOLESEI AUTHN OS D'
>>AN APOLESH THN YUCHN AUTOU ENEKEN EMOU OUTOS SWSEI AUTHN
>>My question is about the first phrase where Luke use AN in place of EAN.
[Snip]
>In the Koine the older distinction between EAN (for EI + AN) and AN was not
>regularly observed. If we assume Marcan priority (as I would, although I'm
>sure not all B-Greekers would), I'd think that Luke made the change to
>conform to better "school" usage--I suspect that the GUMNASIA taught AN
>with subjunctive as normal unless the conditional really called for an
"if."

FWIW, my copy of Scrivener's TR 1881 has AN in all three places, including
Mark and Matthew, though there are other differences as well. Relevant text
follows:
GNS Matthew 16:25 hOS GAR AN ... AUTHN. (NB, with punctuation)
GNS Mark 8:35 hOS GAR AN ... EUAGGELIOU OUTOS SWSEI AUTHN.

Further looking at the papyri earlier than the 4th Century:
 P45 Mark 8:35 lacks the first part of the verse before ...YUCHN AUTOU
SWSAI...
 Matthew 16 is not represented at all.
 P75 Luke 9:24 has lacunae on these two lines (reconstruction represented by
"_", uncertain letters by "lowercase"):
  KA_aKOLOUQEITWMOI:OSGAR_NQE
  LHTHNYUCHNAUTOuSWSAiaPO
 This text is quite regular, and there does not appear to be room for both E
and A before the N.

So, it seems to me quite possible that AN could be the correct reading in
all the original Gospels.

Then again, I could be wrong.

Richard Allan Stauch
Long Beach, CA