[b-greek] Luke 5:34

From: Kenneth Litwak (javajedi2@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 01:00:50 EDT

Subject: Re: Luke 5:34: En hW
From: "Carl W. Conrad"
<cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 05:35:48 -0400

At 10:28 PM -0700 7/7/01, Kenneth Litwak wrote:
> The last part of Luke 5:34 reads
>EN hW hO NUMFIOS MET' AUTWN ESTIN POIHSAI
NHSTEUSAI

>My question is this. EN hW with an infinitive
>indicates concurrent action, "while x was
happening,"
>but I've not seen that done with the indicative,
here,
>ESTIN. Is this common? Or am I misunderstanding
the
>syntax? Thanks.
>
>Ken, you're not seeing the WHOLE construction, if
>you're trying to make
>sense only of what you've cited. The text (UBS4)
>reads MH DUNASQE TOUS
>hUIOUS TOU NUMFWNOS EN hWi hO NUMFIOS MET' AUTWN
>ESTIN POIHSAI NHSTEUSAI?
>
>The infinitive POIHSAI depends upon the initial
>DUNASQE as a complementary
>infinitive; the whole adverbial clause is EN hWi
>hO NUMFIOS MET' AUTWN
>ESTIN; finally TOUS hUIOUS TOU NUMFWNOS NHSTEUSAI
>depends upon POIHSAI.
>
>"Surely you can't make ...?" MH DUNASQE POIHSAI?
>"... the grooms fast ..." TOUS hUIOUS TOU
>NUMFWNOS ... NHSTEUSAI

Carl, I still would like to know if it is icomon to
use EN hWi without an infinitive to indicate duration.
 You have broken the sentecne into pieces, and while I
did not quote the whole sentence, I would have
analyzed it the same way. The issue is that EN hWi
goes with the verb ESTIN, which is not an infinitive.
So can EN hWi be used to show concurrent action any
old time, regardless of what else is in the clause it
is part of? Thanks.

Ken