[b-greek] Re: Tamieion Tamieia

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 11:27:06 EDT

<x-flowed>
At 01:08 11/07/01, Richard Allan Stauch wrote:

>Taken together, KAI TAMIEIA NOTOU is properly translated by
>all of my English texts as "and the chambers of the south." This Greek text
>is translated, of course, from the Hebrew "VHedery teyman", which indeed
>means "and the chambers (of the) south." I might have shortened it (since it
>lacks articles) as "and southern sancta."

from The Theological WordBook of the Old Testament:
stormwind comes (Job 37:9). The KJV translates h\eder as "south" for the
assumed source of the storm-wind, but RSV is probably more accurate in
rendering: "From its chamber comes the whirlwind." "Chamber of the south"
(Job 9:9) may name a constellation or be the confines of one.<<<<<<

and from Rashi's commentary on TaNaK ( Job 9:9 ):

and the chambers of the south into which to bring the tempest, as he states
(below 37:9): "From the chamber shall come the tempest.<<<<<

Regards
Maurice

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros@iol.ie