[b-greek] Apostrophe or Breathing Mark?

From: Richard Allan Stauch (RStauch@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 22:10:56 EDT

B-Greekers,

I have been building a soft-copy set of the Apostolic Fathers in Greek
(based on the Loeb Classical Library AFv1, edited by Goold), and I have run
across a question that you will probably find very simple. Please accept my
apologies for not already knowing the answer to this.

In a few words I have noticed what looks like a smooth breathing mark, or an
apostrophe, over a vowel in the middle of a word. This is definitely not a
printing problem, with the words run so close together that they are hard to
separate, or an accent mark messed up. Rather, it is definitely a
comma-shaped figure over the vowel. And I don't mean words like AUTOU, where
there is a diphthong at the beginning of the word. Two occurrences are:
  2 Clement XV:1, the A in KAME
  Ignatius to the Ephesians XIV:1, the second A in KALOKAGAQIAN

Could this be a holdover in a contraction (as opposed to a compound word)? A
misprint? I have not yet seen it in the GNT. Could someone please explain
this? Is there a pronunciation rule of which I should be aware?

Also, looking for help in BAGD for KALOKAGAQIA (nobility of character,
excellence), I find the following reference I cannot understand: "Js 5:10
v.1." I thought "Js" was "James", but I cannot find this word anywhere in
the UBS GNT4 (and my 3rd Corrected Edition does not have any footnotes on
this verse), nor in Scrivener's 1881 TR. It does occur once in 4 Maccabees
15:9 (as well as Ignatius). Of course, there is no explanation in BAGD for
the comma-like figure I mentioned above, nor do either BAGD or the version
of LXX I have (Sir LCL Brenton, from Hendrickson) actually show this
character (though the LXX shows an Iota subscript instead).

Well, any help I can get is greatly appreciated.

Richard Allan Stauch
Long Beach, CA