[b-greek] Re: EPLHSQHSAN

From: Dave Washburn (dwashbur@nyx.net)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 10:24:09 EDT

> Acts 2:4a
>
> KAI EPLHSQHSAN hAPANTES PNEUMATOS hAGIOU...
>
> EPLHSQHSAN looks more like it comes from PLHROW than PIMPLHMI.
>
> How does PIMPLHMI inflect into EPLHSQHSAN?

Mark,
Robertson places this verb in a class he calls "non-thematic
reduplicated present" and gives DIDWMI, hISTHMI and TIQHMI
among others as examples. To form the aorist the reduplication (a
curious term at best!) is dropped and the aorist endings added, in
this case aorist passive. Throw in the aorist augment and you get
EPLHSQHSAN. If the word had been from PLHROW we would
have seen the rho in it somewhere, e.g. EPLHRHQHSAN or some
such (I don't have a text open in front of me at the moment).

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"You just keep thinking, Butch. That's what you're good at."