[b-greek] Re:Apostrophe or Breathing Mark?

From: Daniel L. Christiansen (dlc@multnomah.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 14:58:54 EDT

Richard Allan Stauch wrote [snipped]:

> In a few words I have noticed what looks like a smooth breathing mark, or an
> apostrophe, over a vowel in the middle of a word. I have not yet seen it in the
> GNT.

Richard, Carl already responded with an answer to your question, but I haven't seen
anyone address the issue of it occurring in the GNT. The most common of these
crasis words in the NT seems to be KA'GW (KAI EGW) with over 70 appearances. The
first is in Matt 2:8, the last in Rev 22:8. Then there is KA'N (KAI EAN or KAI AN)
with about 20 uses, from MAtt 21:21 to James 5:15. The particular term you noticed
in Clement (KA'ME) occurs thrice in the GNT: John 7:28; 16:32; 1Cor 16:34.

If you are looking for crasis while reading through an electronic text, you may be
out of luck. The apostrophe doesn't get included in some of these.

Daniel
--
Daniel L. Christiansen
Professor of Biblical Languages, Portland Bible College