[b-greek] Re: Lk 17:21, ENTOS hUMWN

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 08:24:34 EDT

<x-flowed>
At 03:34 24/07/01, Andrej Ricnik wrote:

>Luther translated:"inside you", and from
>my classical greek I'd agree with him.

I'd exercise caution about any seamless connection with classical greek:
have you looked at BAGD?
There you will find, undeer ENTOS, a note that:
>>in our lit. only as improper prep. w. gen. inside, within, within the
limits of (Lucian, Dial. Mort. 14, 5; Jos., Bell. 3, <<<
Furthermore, where BAGD speculates that ENTOS hUMWN " may mean within you,
in your hearts (cf. Ps 38:4; 102:1; 108:22, " it immediately points out
that all three citations are actually ENTOS MOU;

>More recent German translations come up
>with "among you", and I was wondering how
>you guys would put it.

Not just German translations -- look at the long article in the Anchor
Bible Dictionary, in which ENTOS hUMWN is always regarded as " in the midst
of you ", as does the RSV.
This becomes " among you " in the NRSV, more than likely because "in the
midst of " is by now verging on the archaic.

As you have just introduced yourself to the list ( and you are welcome )
could I point out that this particular issue often wanders way outside the
strict realms of grammar into fields which are not the concern of the
B-GREEK list -- as you have doubtless read in the standard doc. sent to new
members?

Maurice A. O'Sullivan
[Bray, Ireland]

"Apply yourself wholly to the text; apply the text wholly to yourself."
- Johann Albrecht Bengel