[b-greek] Grammatical categories and Luke 6:12b

From: Wayne Leman (Wayne_Leman@SIL.ORG)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 15:09:37 EDT

I know that I am probably repeating what others said earlier, but when
someone refers to "grammatical categories" are they not usually referring to
syntactic categories, in this case (!), particularly the syntactic
categories indicated by the 5 different case suffixes of Hellenistic Greek?

When people refer to "uses" of grammatical categories, are they not
referring to semantic categories?

It seems to me that if we keep clear in our minds whether we are referring
to syntax or semantics that much of the confusion can be cleared away. All
of us can agree, I think, that we see in the text one of 5 different case
suffixes. Where we will disagree will be on what semantic uses (functions)
that case might have in a particular context.

Am I missing something?

Of course, one problem arises since some linguists use the term "grammar" to
include semantics, while others exclude semantics from what they consider
"grammar." But I'm guessing that most on this particular discussion list
would not include semantics and function within grammar. We could take a
poll, I suppose, if that would be helpful.

Wayne
---
Wayne Leman
Bible translation site: http://www.geocities.com/bible_translation/