[b-greek] Re: Greek Sentence Structure

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 15:19:05 EDT

on 7/25/01 7:51 AM, Joe Crane wrote:

> I looked in Daniel Wallace's "Greek Grammar beyond the Basics" and noted that
> Wallace said that I Peter 1:3-12 is one sentence.

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the b-greek. Now for a non-answer to your question.

About five years ago I asked Michael Palmer to define in a rigorous fashion
what a follower of late-Chomskyism (Chomsky '95) would call a Hellenistic
Greek sentence.

I truly appreciated the effort Michael Palmer put into this. However, he
convinced me more than anything that we should dump the term sentence and
just talk about clauses. A clause has a fairly stable definition if you
define it recursively. The sentence is not really so easy to define.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

PS

Might be a good idea for someone in Texas to start a e-list dedicated to
discussing Wallace's GGBB. Then every time we get one of these "but Wallace
said" kind of questions we could just send them off to this list. I don't
think every "idea" in GGBB is worth the bother to critique. There are too
many "ideas" and many of them are not worth proving wrong. Life is too
short for dancing with GGBB.