[b-greek] Re: A question on Philippians 4

From: Rob Matlack (rmatlack@juno.com)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 16:09:39 EDT

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 11:36:35 -0700 (PDT) "Alan B. Thomas"
<a_b_thomas@yahoo.com> writes:
> Mark
>
> You wrote....
>
> > I wonder if the Pres. Imp. stresses the need to
> > initiate the behavior
> > NOW (rather than in some "on-going, continual"
> > fashion), and the Aor. Imp.
> > stresses the need to behave a certain way ALWAYS (as
> > a rule).
> > The Pres. Imp. would also imply remaining (always)
> > obedient, as well as the
> > Aor. Imp. would imply that the behavior should begin
> > immediately (now).
>

> I think you are correct in this sense: in this
> context, a Greek reader would not RESPOND differently
> based on whether the command was in the Present or
> Aorist.
>
> Regardless of which tense is used, the one issuing the
> command would be urging the same behavior, a behavior
> that one should enter into immediately, or if one is
> already demonstrating such behavior, to continue in
> like fashion. That one should "continue" in such
> behavior, behave this way "as a rule," or begin such
> and such behavior NOW, is not a part of the tense
> function. That would be understood at a higher
> (contextual/lexical) level.
>
> Your hesitancy in seeing a continuous, on-going aspect
> to the Present tense I believe is well-founded.
>
> =====
> Sincerely,
>
> Alan B. Thomas

I would like to clarify two points:
1) Are you saying that the present imperative from the NOW aspect can
imply BEGIN TO ACT and that the aorist, from its undefined aspect,
implies an "AS A RULE" command? On the surface this makes sense, but it
is opposite to what I was taught, i.e. the aggressive aorist is BEGIN TO
ACT and the present is "customary-habitual".

2) You said "a Greek reader would not RESPOND differently based on
whether the command was in the Present or Aorist". But does the tense
tell us something about the persons addressed? In other words, the
present could imply they are not now doing it and the aorist could imply
that they are, but need to continue the rule. Would that be correct?

Rob Matlack -- 620 E. 5th St., Minneapolis, KS 67467
RMatlack@juno.com Hm: 785-392-2865 Church: 785-392-2089
"...that we may present every man mature in Christ Jesus."
"I can only say that I am nothing but a poor sinner, trusting in Christ
alone for salvation" -- R. E. Lee
"It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight
on it's behalf." -- Blaise Pascal
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.