[b-greek] Re: Source of hHNWMENHi

From: Eric B. Sowell (bradyman@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 01:42:03 EDT

> Dear B-Greekers,
>
> Can anyone help me see where I might find the source of hHNWMENHi? I am
> trying to look up words to determine their meaning, and to find the forms
> (case, mood, tense, voice, et cetera). BAGD does not list this one, but
has
> hENWSIS. Tufts "Middle Liddell" has an entry that looks more promising. It
> looks like our subject might be a form of hENOW "make one, unite"
> (preformative lengthens E to H, no coupling letter [ending attached to
stem
> of fifth principle part, though I am not sure what that is], ending
> in -MEN-, to which is added -Hi [and where does this little fella come
> from?). Maybe this is a participle, perfect middle/passive dative feminine
> singular? Searching BibleWorks' databases, for all words ending in
"*MENH",
> every one with an Iota subscript is dative feminine singular (whether noun
> or participle). Without the Iota subscript they are mostly present
> nominative, occasionally deponent or even vocative.
>
> Wow, so many "case endings" to learn. This is going to take a while. (LOL)
> Anyway, am I on the right track?
>
> Thanks again,
> Richard Allan Stauch
> Long Beach, CA

Richard,

I am curious about what text you are using. Mine lists an accusative form
for this reading, though a dative variant is in the apparatus. What text
are you using?

It is indeed a form of hENOW and BDAG mentions it on pg 339 and BAGD on pg
268. It is a perfect passive participle, accusative feminine singular (or
dative). The beginning of words that start with a vowel do sometimes
lengthen in the perfect, which would explain the lengthening here.
 The -MEN- is the sign of a middle/passive participle and the -HN at the end
is the feminine accusative singular ending (or Hi if it is dative).

Eric B. Sowell
Dallas, TX