[b-greek] Re: 1 Cor. 1:4

From: Richard Allan Stauch (RStauch@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 02:01:46 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrej Ricnik [mailto:lemmetink@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2001 5:36 PM
>Brief question here, as in Germany greek seems to be taught in
>a different fashion. Is "locative" another name for
>"dativus locationis"? Or do you guys in fact know more than the five
>cases (if one wants to consider vocativ a case) that I know?

Hi Andrej,

We just went through this, not that I am complaining. Anyone else can feel
free to correct me if I am wrong in my explanation below.

My understanding of it is that there are 5 major cases based on word-form
alone, with 3 possible subcases based on use among two of the majors, for a
total of 8 distinct cases.
1 Vocative (Direct Address) {ergo, KURIE!
   [so, incomplete sentence]}
2 Nominative (Subject) {ergo, KURIOS}
3 Accusative (Object) {ergo, KURION}
4 Genitive (Kind Of or Specification)
   {as in "rock of granite"; ergo, KURIOU}
   with 1 subcase possible (which shares the Genitive form):
5 Ablatival ["direction away from, separation"] Genitive
      {as in "rock of Gibraltar"}
6 Dative (Personal Interest, Instrumentality, or Location)
   {as in "for me"; ergo, KURIW}
   with 2 subcases possible (which share the Dative form):
7 Instrumental Dative {as in "to me"}
8 Locative Dative {as in "by me"}

I think we are all aware of these cases (at least as names, if not how they
work). Some teachers use only the 5 word-form cases, because these can be
seen in the spelling (therefore, lexical). The other three require some
semantic analysis (so, interpretational). Ergo, a dispute has ensued as to
whether we should use a 5-case, or an 8-case system. I want to understand
the text, and know that _some_ interpretation will have to be done anyway,
so I am trying to grasp the 8 case system.

Good luck,
Richard Allan Stauch
Long Beach, CA