[b-greek] Hendiadys

From: Wayne Leman (Wayne_Leman@SIL.ORG)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 10:12:34 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Sangrey" <msangrey@BlueFeltHat.org>

> Can we have hendiadys with an embedded adjective?

Mike, I see no theoretical reason why the two conjuncts of a hendiadys could
not be NPs (noun phrases), instead of simply Ns (nouns), as we see in most
lists of hendiadys candidates.

I have some doubt that the conjoined phrase of Phil. 1:9 is a candidate for
hendiadys. I haven't seen it on lists of hendiadys before, but someone has
to discover things for the first time, but that must not rule it out. The
bigger, key question for identification of hendiadys is:

Does one of the nouns (NPs?) have a subordinate relationship to the other
noun?

I cannot, at this point, see how one of the nouns of the conjoined phrase of
Phil. 1:9 would be subordinate to the other. If anything, the two nouns are
near synonyms, better candidates to exhibit synonymous rhetorical
parallelism than hendiadys, it seems to me.

FWIW, here is a list of examples of hendiadys candidates I've been able to
scrounge up from various references:

Mark 2:25 in need and hungry = very hungry
Luke 2:47 intelligence and answers = intelligent answers
Acts 1:25 ministry and apostleship = to minister as an apostle
Acts 23:6 the hope and resurrection of the dead = the hope that the dead
will be resurrected
2 Tim. 1:10 life and immortality = immortal life
Heb. 12:28 with reverance and awe = very reverantly

I'm not convinced that Mark 2:25 and Heb. 12.28 belong on this list. It
seems to me that they are better exampels of synonymous rhetorical
parallelism which typically functions to intensify the meaning which the two
conjuncts have in common.

Wayne
---
Wayne Leman