[b-greek] RE: Hendiadys

From: Alan B. Thomas (a_b_thomas@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 10:39:59 EDT

Iver:

You wrote

> > Phil. 1:9
> >
> > EPIGNWSEI KAI PASHi AISQHSEI
>
> My answer would be: yes, we can. Hendiadys describes
> the semantic
> relationship between two noun phrases, not just two
> simple nouns. I think
> the label hendiadys was invented because the
> function of Greek KAI is
> different from the function of English "and". The
> English "and" implies that
> the two coordinated noun phrases are semantically
> disjunct, that is, they
> have very little, if any, overlap in meaning. This
> constraint does not apply
> to the Greek KAI. The two noun phrases may have
> significant semantic
> overlap. The Greek KAI is an "additive", more than a
> disjunctive, and it can
> add a different aspect or fuller explanation to the
> same idea.

In English, "or" generally expresses a disjunct. And
most standard English dictionaries would define AND
as "additive." Perhaps you are using "disjunct" in a
different sense than I am familiar with.

I really think there is quite a similarity between the
Greek KAI and the English AND. What I think you might
be referring to is the 'additional' functions that KAI
has, perhaps when it is translated "even" or "also."
But even here, the English AND can get quite close.

The very statements you made about the Greek KAI (is
an "additive", more than a disjunctive, and it can add
a different aspect or fuller explanation to the same
idea) would be the same for the English AND on more
occasions than not.

I do agree that the Greek KAI has multiple functions,
but I would say that the English AND very often
functions as does the Greek KAI.

Did I misunderstand your intent?

=====
Sincerely,