[b-greek] Hendiadys and spoon feeding

From: ross purdy (rossjpurdy@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 05:32:55 EDT

<x-flowed>
Wayne,

While not all fluent speakers of English are able to analyze hendiadys when
it presents in their reading of literal translations, I do not believe that
is any significant handicap to them in ascertaining the meaning of what they
have read. Sure any translation can be improved upon and updated, but even
Wycliffe and Tyndale speak powerfully to many today with their five-hundred
plus year old literal renderings!

Wayne, I appreciate translators like you who want to present the absolute
best translation possible to help readers understand God's Word as clearly
and quickly as possible. I also appreciate Bible teachers, even if they
give the wrong interpretation, because they stimulate me to think and to
search out the answers for myself. But in the end, I, as the reader, will
have to take responsibility to comprehend what is given me and then seek out
that which has not been given me. I will trust in my ability to learn and
understand the Greek NT to bring me a hair's width beyond my English
resources for understanding God's revelation. Since that may not make a
whole lot of difference, I will trust in God's grace for the rest until the
perfect translation comes along;)

IMHO, Wayne I think you are expecting your translation to do the spoon
feeding in a way that can only be done personally by the community of faith.

Efforts to translate the GNT must have reasonable expectations of effort on
the translators part (and I believe there is not a lack of effort on the
part of translators), as well as, on the part of the reader (where I witness
a great lack of effort) in order to comprehend the text. The answer does not
lie in lowering the bar, because then you may end up with a NT with a
five-hundred word vocabulary. Sure everyone can understand it, but it fails
to convey any reasonable amount of the information intended for the reader.
It really is not too much to expect the reader to use a dictionary, nor is
it too much too expect the reader to reread and study a passage to ascertain
the meaning more perfectly...for me, that is pure pleasure:)

Please, all you translators out there, I urge you to let the burden be
shared since we are all in this together, you can not do it alone, each must
participate, or what is this list for anyway?

In Christ,
Ross Purdy

rossjpurdy@hotmail.com