[b-greek] Re: Re The time element in the Greek tenses

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 05 2001 - 10:09:50 EDT

At 8:56 AM -0400 8/5/01, Harry W. Jones wrote:
>To All B-Greekers,
>
>If I have three Greek verbs in a sentence which could or could not be
>a mixture of regular verbs or participles, would the tenses of the
>verbs represent or determine the sequence in which the actions took
>place?
>
>For example,
> <aorist verb(could or could not be a participle>1
> <present tense verb(could or could not be a participle>2
> <future tense verb(could or could not be a participle)>3.
>
>Would the sequence of occurrence be 1 2 3?

I don't think this question can be that simply answered; one might very
well have a sequence such as POLLA MEN PRIN MAQWN, PLEIONA DE NUN MANQANWN,
hOMWS DE TA PLEISTA MAQHSOMAI EN TOIS ETESI ETI ERCOMENOIS. But it really
does depend upon whether which time and action one wants to emphasize in
the sentence; the more emphatic element tends to be stated earliest,
although it can come climactically at the end.