[b-greek] Re: 1Cor 15:8

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 26 2001 - 11:31:39 EDT

At 9:22 AM -0700 8/26/01, Dmitriy Reznik wrote:
>Dear friends:
>
>I have a question about 1Cor 15:8.
>ESCATON DE PANTWN hWSPEREI TWi EKTRWMATI WFQH KAMOI.
>And last of all He was seen by me also, as by one born out of due time.
>My online lexicon gives two options for EKTRWMA:
>1) an abortion, abortive birth
>2) an untimely birth
>I wonder which one is the right translation.

I think (2) must be right here, but in checking resources I found that Louw
& Nida have an interesting note on this word:

==========
23.55 EKTRWMA, TOS n: an untimely or premature birth - 'untimely birth.'
ESCATON DE PANTWN hWSPEREI TWi EKTRWMATI WFQH KAMOś 'last of all he
appeared also to me, even though I was like one who was born at the wrong
time' 1Cor 15:8.
        There is a certain fundamental problem involved in the rendering of
EKTRWMA in 1Cor 15:8. Here Paul refers to himself, but the event in
question is the appearance of Jesus to Paul, evidently on the road to
Damascus. The reference, therefore, would seem to be his being born as a
Christian. This spiritual birth, however, would appear to be rather late in
the process rather than premature. It is for this reason that it may be
wise to translate EKTRWMA in some instances as 'untimely birth' or 'born at
the wrong time,' rather than indicating that he was 'born too soon.'