[b-greek] RE: A Preposition Proposition

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 30 2001 - 21:17:32 EDT

At 9:29 PM -0300 8/30/01, Brent wrote:
>I don't want to come across the wrong way, and I don't speak for the B-Greek
>list (I myself have just rejoined after a four year hiatus); however, you
>can find all of this information quite easily in a lexicon and an
>intermediate grammar. If I remember correctly, specific questions about a
>particular usage or passage, will bring a greater response.
>
>Regards,
>Brent Hudson

I heartily agree with that. I think one of the greatest services we can
provide on B-Greek is assistance to people who are just beginning to get
into Biblical Greek seriously and need help with the questions that the
primers (or even the secondary grammars) don't really answer or that they
even lead better students to formulate for themselves, realizing that some
principle of importance has not really been adequately explained by the
textbook or reference work. List-members with several years of experience
learning and even teaching Greek in the classroom can be helpful with that.

On the other hand, it's a bit annoying when (a) a question is raised, the
answer to which is ready-to-hand in almost any good Beginning Greek
textbook or grammar referrence work, or (b) the question put to the list
looks a good deal like the asker is trying to get the list to do his/her
homework assignment.