[b-greek] textual cruces

From: Marica Frank (Marica.Frank@archden.org)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 18:18:27 EDT

I am a Classicist by training but am presently teaching NT Greek at a
seminary. One of my concerns is to convince students that a
translation of the New Testament is not an adequate basis for teaching
and preaching. I can, of course, point to examples where the Greek
word or phrase has a rich range of nuance which cannot be captured in
English. What I would like to find, however, and what I hope members
of the list will be able to assist me with, are significant passages in
the New Testament where a knowledge of Greek is really necessary for the
interpretation of the text. I have Nigel Turner's 'Grammatical
Insights into the New Testament', but many of the passages in which he
finds textual problems are not really significant enough to persuade
students that they can't manage without Greek. I'd be grateful if
more experienced teachers of NT Greek could come to my rescue here.

Marica Frank

St. John Vianney Seminary, Denver