[b-greek] Re: 1 Tim. 2:4 --> PANTAS ANQRWPOUS

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 22 2001 - 22:29:17 EDT

At 3:00 AM +0200 9/23/01, Mark Markham wrote:
>What about PANTAS ANQRWPOUS in 1 Cor. 7:7 and PANTAS in 1 Cor 14:5. Can't
>"all" in context refer to a "particular group" of peolple? I think this is
>what Harry was meaning by a sub group. Perhaps a better question is: who is
>PANTAS ANQRWPOUS in 1 Tim. 2:4? The question of the ages!Unless it is
>revealed in the immediate context it is open for hermenutics and not just
>Greek translation. What do all of you (sub group B-Greek list members)
>think?

Please let's steer clear of hermeneutics on B-Greek. The context in
question is the context of 1 Tim 2:4. It's true that PANTAS ANQRWPOUS in 1
Cor 7:7 might refer only to believers, although I've sometimes wondered
whether it might not be the case that Paul indeeds would like for everybody
to be like himself! In 1 Cor 14:5 the PANTAS construes with hUMAS: the
congregation at Corinth.