[b-greek] Re: James 2:13

From: Rob Matlack (united_by_truth@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 14:45:49 EDT

Steven Lo Vullo [mailto:doulos@appleisp.net] wrote:

> on 9/28/01 12:24 PM, Rob Matlack at united_by_truth@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > The Majority Text of James 2:13b reads: KATAKAUXATAI ELEON KPISEWS
> > How is that to be understood? In other words, what is the
> function of the
> > accusative ELEON and the genitive KPISEWS? Who or what is the subject of
> > KATAKAUXATAI?
> >
> > Could it be something like: "He (God) exults (brags on) mercy
> rather than judgment"?

snip

In a follow-up message Steve Lo Vullo later wrote:

> One thing I forgot to say in my last post is that the difference between
> ELEON (MT) and ELEOS (USBGNT, NA27) is that ELEON is a 2nd declension
neuter
> noun and ELEOS is a third declension neuter noun. Either way, it is
> nominative and the subject of KATAKAUCATAI.

After consulting BDAG, Blass-DeBrunner, Moulton's Analytical Lexicon, and
three or four other basic grammars and aids I have some questions. BDAG
lists the neuter 3rd declension ELEOS, -OUS, TO and a later Greek form
ELEOS, hO. I assume that this is a second declension masculine paralleling
the two forms Moulton lists: ELEOS, -OUS, TO and ELEOS, -OU, hO. Bl-D #51
discusses the two forms and, if I read it correctly, also seems to imply
that ELEOS, hO is a second declension masculine noun. Based on all of this
ELEON would seem to be a masculine accusative singular form as Moulton
labels it. So, how do we know that ELEON is nominative? Bl-D does mention
the variant, but unless I looked there first how would I have known?
Everything else points to accusative. Is one key that KATAKAUCAOMAI normally
takes a genitive form for a direct object? Where did Steve come up with
ELEON as a 2nd declension neuter? I found nothing that listed the form
ELEON, -OU, TO. Are there three forms of this word: ELEOS, -OUS, TO,
ELEOS, -OU, hO, and ELEON, -OU, TO?

Thanks.

Rob Matlack united_by_truth@yahoo.com
Minneapolis, KS
"I can only say that I am nothing but a poor sinner, trusting in Christ
alone for salvation"--R. E. Lee
"It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on
it's behalf."--Blaise Pascal