[b-greek] Re: Gal 4:18 EN KALWi

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 07:08:12 EDT

At 5:09 AM -0400 10/9/01, Harry W. Jones wrote:
>Dear Diana,
>
>I could find no place in the NT Greek where either KALOS or AGAQOS are
>used as a substantive for a person. They seem to always be used as a
>quality or characteristic.

You might want to consider the following:

Mt 19:17 hEIS ESTIN hO AGAQOS
Rom 5:7 hUPER TOU AGAQOU TACA TIS KAI TOLMAi APOQANEIN
1 Pet 2:18 hOI OIKETAI hUPOTASSOMENOI EN PANTI FOBWi TOIS DESPOTAIS, OU
MONON TOIS AGAQOIS KAI EPIEIKESIN ALLA KAI TOIS SKOLIOIS

Moreover there are several instances of the antithetical PONHROS used as a
substantive, among them Mt 13:19, 34, 39; Lk 6:45; 1 Cor 5:13. Furthermore
there is some question regarding whether a couple instances of substantive
PONHROS traditionally thought neuter ought not to be considered masculine:

Mt 6:13 hRUSAI hHMAS APO TOU PONHROU.
2 Tj 3"3 PISTOS DE ESTIN hO KURIOS, hOS STHRIXEI hUMAS KAI FULAXEI APO TOU
PONHROU

But in reality a host of instances of these adjectives used as neuter
substantives wouldn't prove that KALWi in Gal 4:18 can NOT be masculine.