[b-greek] Fronting

From: Wayne Leman (wayne_leman@sil.org)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 19:39:36 EDT

Clay, I see I need to clarify my posting. By saying that the marking of time
progress in narratives is "probably the most salient," I am *not* saying
that this is marking of prominence or focus. I am simply saying that the
most salient component of narrative discourse is the passage of time. I am
addressing the *definition* of narrative genre, and not speaking about
prominence. In the definition of narrative genre, time progression is
extremely salient, probably the most salient of all narrative genre
features. If you'll re-read my message I think you won't find anything about
prominence, but I can see how what I said would invite that inference. I'm
sorry I wasn't clearer.

Even my reference to the constituent order of EGENONTO appearing
clause-initial should not be taken as indication of prominence.
Clause-initial position can surely indicate more than prominence, just as
many other language markers are multifunctional.

Best regards,
Wayne

> > feature of narrative discourse genre

> I would accept your first statement without blinking. The function of
> EGENONTO is to mark progression points on the narrative time line. Your
> second statement causes me to blink.
>
> >The passage of time is probably the most salient
> > feature of narrative discourse genre . . .
>
> Every one who responded to this "fronting" thread yesterday seemed to
agree
> on this point that EGENONTO is prominent (salient) and has significant
> semantic content. At the risk of appearing to be obstinately obtuse I am
> going to disagree with both of these propositions.

<snip>