[b-greek] In 1 Cor 14:26-33 men are meant

From: C.A. (Kees) Langeveld (langeveld@solcon.nl)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 13:24:22 EST

The frequent use of masculine nouns such as hEKASTOS, hEIS, hEAUTWi, ALLWi,
DIERMHNEUTHS etc. in 1 Cor. 14:26-33, which deals with speaking in the
churchmeetings, together with the fact that in vers 34-35 women are said to
refrain from speaking in the churchmeetings, provide a valid argument for
the thesis that in 1 Cor 14:26-33 men are meant or thought of. In other
words, 1 Cor 14:34-35 provides a reason for taking those nouns as
non-generic, that is, as referring to men only.
Carl W. Conrad has given me his opinion on this matter. I would like to hear
other optinions and arguments.
Regards,
Kees Langeveld, Bennekom, Netherlands