[b-greek] Re: forground & background, boundry markers -Longacre'sModel

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 15:53:19 EST

on 11/5/01 12:03 PM, c stirling bartholomew wrote:

> Just replace the words Old Hebrew with NT Greek

No doubt someone will ask:

Why should we replace the words Old Hebrew with NT Greek?

Because more than one major work on NT Greek Discourse Analysis in the last
decade has made attempts to tie the notion of foreground/background in some
manner to the morphology of the Greek verb. This is linkage between
foreground/background and verb morphology is exactly what Heimerdinger*
dismantles (see pages 52-100).

I think that Heimerdinger's argument could and should be used as a model for
a similar dismantling for NT Greek. It is just their for the taking. Anyone
looking for a thesis topic? Perhaps this has already been done. If so I
would like to hear about it.

greetings,

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

*Heimerdinger, Jean-Marc. Topic, focus and foreground in ancient Hebrew
narratives, Sheffield Academic Press, c1999.