[b-greek] Gal. 4:13 hOTI DI'

From: Wayne Leman (wayne_leman@sil.org)
Date: Sun Nov 11 2001 - 18:28:13 EST

> on 11/11/01 3:45 PM, Wayne Leman at wayne_leman@sil.org wrote:
>
> > One of my coworkers is currently revising the translation of Galatians
and
> > asked me yesterday to help him determine the meaning of hOTI DI' in Gal.
> > 4:13. English versions are divided as to whether these particles
indicate
> > the cause of Paul's preaching to them the first time or a circumstantial
> > condition of his preaching to them the first time. Do you all on this
list
> > feel there is any way that we can tell from the Greek here which of
these
> > semantic options is more likely?
>
> Wayne, I don't think hOTI and DI' should be construed together as a phrase
> or an idiom.

And, for the record, I didn't consider them either, Steven, and I hope my
message didn't give that impression. I just recognized that they enter into
the semantics of what follows.

> In light of the fact that the main verb is OIDATE, a verb of
> perception, I think it is better to take hOTI as a marker of indirect
> statement, i.e., introducing the content of the Galatians' knowledge. I
also
> think the most natural way to take the preposition DI' is in a causal
sense.

Can you state the evidence you use to conclude that? That evidence will help
my coworker who is quite competent in Greek. He used to teach at MIT.

Thanks,
Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman